Me, the husband, our friends, and the boy just got back from our Mexican Vacation. It was a blast. We trekked into the interior to go see pyramids, then spent several days relaxing on the beach at Isla Mujeres, off the coast of Cancún. It was a great trip, and I highly recommend it for a family vacation.
Some highlights and recommendations:
- For our first night we stayed at a little eco hotel in downtown Cancún, El Rey del Caribe. It was lovely– a little oasis in downtown with a jungle like courtyard with a pool, hammocks, and a huge banyon tree. Great for a single night before we trekked off to the wilds. We also ate a great little italian pizza place called Tigre Y Toro, that was walking distance from the hotel.
- Our favorite part of the trip to the ruins was Ek Balam, where you can still climb the pyramids–it’s not as extensive as Chichen Itza, but definitely worth a visit. Although it was hot as the devil, we all had a great time doing that. We also stopped at a cenoté outside Valladolid, which was basically a natural pool inside a cave. Very cool, the kids loved swimming there.
- We spent the remainder of our time on Isla Mujeres, which we loved. We stayed at the Ixchel condos, and had a hot tub on our rooftop deck that doubled as a kiddy pool for the boys to play in when we didn’t feel like going down to the real pool or beach. Great location on North beach.
- We did a golf cart tour of the island, and found a fabulous beach restaurant with some of the best fish I’ve ever had. More on the food later, we had incredible ceviche at this little beach bar too.
- All in all, a great, and mostly kid friendly vacation!
Plus, when we got home, the Tiny Prints cards I ordered for Father’s Day came in… Here’s the Scoop on that – and a free card for YOU too!