The Shrinky Dink Test Lab – Part 2
After I finished making the doodle charms, I sat down to write up the tutorial… but I got distracted thinking about what other things I could try. These are the first of the results. Includes instructions for making charms with a different technique.
Test 1: Coloring on the front and back.
One of the difficulties in coloring the Doodle Charms was that the black sharpie would smear when you touched another color to it. Not a huge deal, but I figured i’d see how it would be to do the black design on the front, and then color it in on the back. For this example, I did a set of wine charms.
Follow the detailed directions from Part 1, but draw your design on the front, and color it on the back.
See Photo above for a step by step.
Results: Very nice! an interesting 3D effect, and easier to color. Try to make sure you color all the back and don’t leave blank spots.
So, this was successful (and easy) but I wanted more!
Test 2: What really happens if you try to seal them with the stuff you have lying around the house?I had read before that you had to be very careful sealing these things, as it could mess them up. There are many threads on the web with the best ways to do this. I couldnt really remember what would happen, so why not try? Now the basement where all the paints and stuff are kept is hubby’s domain, but I found a can of clear, non-yellowing top coat, to give it a try. (Had a read the label and seen acetone as an ingredient, I might have had a clue what would happen)
Results: Well, some good and some bad… The colors faded considerably, almost immediately. It did take out any ‘brush marks’, which was nice, and did leave an interesting mottled appearance (if that worked with the look you were going for). The lighter colors were the most affected (orange in particular – black was hardly impacted at all). I also screwed up and didn’t read a can, and sprayed one of them (the star) with green spray paint! Luckily it was on the back, so you can still see the design from the front.
Test 3: Coloring over the raised plastic #6 symbol & coloring in dark colors to see what kind of cool effects you could get by spraying with top coat.
This was a dual test (done using the back colored method of test 1). First I wanted to see what would happen if i shrunk the #6 triangle symbol on the plastic. My hypothesis was that it would disappear.
Results: And I was correct. The only issue with this is it is harder to color (and there was some blotchness where i probably put more color in that area trying to color it in). You would be fine filling in with a solid color, but i wouldn’t recommend trying to draw a straight line over it.
I also broke the rule from Part 1 to use light colors. I used dark colors, in the hopes that I would then spray it with the top coat, and lighten it, for an interesting effect.
Results: Note that i kinda screwed up on the coloring. I only colored in the clear spaces on the back, but not the area i could see were black lines. once the plastic thinkened, you can see the blank, uncolored spaces if you’re not looking at it straight on. So then I sprayed it, to see if the colors would lighten up. This worked ok, but the different colors seem to lighten different amounts, and really there was not alot of effect on the dark colors. The orange, however, which shrinks to almost red, tends to go pinkish and blotchy. However, i think it bled the colors together a little bit, and helped my blank spaces problem!
Coming tomorrow: Part 3 – More experiments! See All!
…ok, so i lied. Tomorrow being the 4th of july, here in the states, i probably will be too busy.. but I’ve got my a brunch to plan, the Peachtree Road Race to “watch”, my mimosas to make and Guilder to frame for it; I’m swamped. ;) But I will throw up a quickie bonus feature!
Oh yeah, and you know me, i need validation that I didn’t write all this up for it never to be seen by human eyes… so don’t forget that posting a comment on one of the posts in this series enters you in the drawing to win some of the output of the experiments!