I’m guest posting today at Dollar Store Crafts, one of my favorite cheap crafting blogs! Last week, Heather posted her Spooky Halloween Tree tutorial over here, and today I’m returning the favor.
So if you want some scary halloween decor on the cheap (less than a few dollars, really!), head over to Dollar Store Crafts and check out the tutorial. You could do a bunch of these for a Alfred Hitchcock effect!
Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!… or How To Make Creepy Halloween Birds
For those who don’t know me, I LOVE Halloween. In fact, that’s all you’ll see on Dabbled this month–Halloween projects galore. I’m also notoriously cheap, so Dollar Store Crafts is a favorite stop on my blog lists. Inspired by doing a guest post over here, I trekked to the Dollar Tree. There I found so many goodies, that I couldn’t decide what to make first! I decided on these birds, but don’t worry, I may have to come back later to share some of the other projects. This is a really easy project, so you probably don’t need a tutorial, but here it is!
- Fake birds (2 for $1)
- Black Spray paint (on hand)
- Red & white acrylic paint (on hand)
Total: $.50 a bird
1. Obtain Birds – these were in the crafting section of my local Dollar Tree, but I’m sure you can find cheap elsewhere
2, 3, 4. Paint birds black with black spray paint. My 4 year old “helped” with this part, so I can honestly say it doesn’t matter if you over do the paint! But do make sure you lift wings and thoroughly paint under them. Mine came with wire sticks which helped to stand them up for the painting.
5. Paint the eyes, and add highlights. First you’ll want to “primer” paint the eyes white, and let them dry. Then carefully paint over in bright red. I also drybrushed a touch of red along the wingtips as well for some subtle highlights.
6. Enjoy! You can display these, or even wear them as part of a Tippi Hedren halloween costume!
Halloween is in full swing on Dabbled…
View all Halloween Posts.
Oh, and stay tuned… My trip to the Dollar Store yielded several other great finds for Halloween crafting… I spent less than $10 and I probably have 5 or so projects that I’ll be doing out of my dollar store haul!